Labels

Monday, May 7, 2012

40 Acre Rock, South Carolina

The last place I explored during my 2011 US trip was the 40 Acre Rock in Lancaster County, South Carolina. I was with friends, Justin and Susan. The hike was moderately strenuous for me but I don't know with the two as they are into wall climbing, if that makes any sense to you :).  Anyway, first, we past through a  sandy thick forest. There were several types of birds around the area. I saw a big hawk flying above which seemed like eyeing a certain animal/food below. I wanted to spot a deer though but my friends said that it rarely happens. Then surprisingly, a large granite flatrock sort of just emerged."Forty Acre Rock Heritage Preserve is a contradiction of natural beauty and disfigurement". I couldn't agree more. It's flatrock is quite wide that some people use it as canvas for graffiti as evident by the drawings/scribblings on some part of the rock. I could imagine young people having good times there, drinking (beer bottles are present) and expressing themselves through vandalism. It is such a shame, since it is such a marvelous place.
After passing through the flatrock, we went down on a hill, passing through a small pond. There's a variety of plant species on the said area like mosses, lichens as well as different kind of trees and animals.
Then up we went again, and this time we found more big rocks and graffiti.  The view from up there was breathtaking and the air was refreshing. All in all, it's still a thing of beauty and worth visiting.
Here are all the photos I took from the place, I apologize for the quantity as I was busy talking to my two lovely companions ;-).







No comments:

Post a Comment